Education

Both in the village itself and its surroundings, the education level had been low for a very long time. Prior to World War I, the pupils attended a Greco Catholic Church School in Nižná Pisaná. The short schooling peroid, hampered by the necessity to work at home, and the prevalence of Hungarian language used for teaching the main subjects, significantly contributed to the fact that results were poor. The first written record about the school itself is from 1861, when the teacher and schoolmaster in one person was Andrej Hadonik, probably one of the more educated villagers.

In 1922 a State People´s School with all subjects in Slovak language was established. During the school year 1943/44, it was renamed to Greco Catholic People´s School. Teaching there was interrupted in the summer of 1944, due to the proximity of front line. A significant improvement in educational level was achieved during those 22 years and illiteracy was completely eliminated among the young generation.

After the war, the pupils did not return to school until autumn of 1946. In that period, there was a Russian people´s school in Nižná Pisaná, with teaching in Russian language.

Finally, in 1949, a State Russian People´s School was established also in Vyšná Pisaná. Lessons started in a wooden shed, transported for this purpose from Kapišová. A school library was founded with 100 volumes, along with the 55-volume teachers´ one. From September 1953, the teaching language was changed to Ukrainian.

There also came new opportunities for higher education. Following the school reform in 1948, a District Secondary School was established in Kružlová. The teaching language was Russian and the school was intended for pupils from 6th class, that is 11-year olds and older. In 1953, new Education Act changed its name to 8-year Secondary School and Ukrainian became the teaching language.

In the school year 1960/61 a 9-year compulsory education was introduced and, consequently, 9-year schools were formed. Pupils from Vyšná Pisaná continued to commute to school in Kružlová for classes 6-9.

In 1961, a new school building for classes 1-5 was put in use and in 1963, following the parents´ request, the teaching language was changed to Slovakian. Ukrainian language remained in curriculum as optional subject.

However, a gradual decline in the number of young people who stayed in the village caused lack of pupils and, in 1976, the school in Vyšná Pisaná was closed down. From 1978, the former school building has been a property of the Children´s Home with residence in Svidník, which opened there a recreational cottage in 1982. At present, pupils from the village attend a Basic School in Svidník.

The first Schoolmaster in Vyšná Pisaná was Mária Onuferová (1949), followed by Helena Šusterová (1949-1952), Mária Zoščáková-Rodáková (1952-1960), Michal Greš (1960-1974) and Ján Kaliňák (1974-1976).